Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Wild Cards at the Card Concept



Hey Everyone- exciting news, I have been selected to be on the Wild Card team at The Card Concept. The Card Concept is a challenge blog similar to the House of Cards. They post an inspiration and the designers create a card based on the inspiration photo and a certain style.  The Wild Card team is a group of designers who will create a card in a different style for each challenge.




Now most of you know that I am CAS gal, so I thought this team would be great to make me think outside my box and try those different styles that can be so intimidating. Basically,  I am gonna show you if I can do them, so can you!

So without further ado, the present challenge is to create a wedding card based on this awesome photo.

For my first challenge I was assigned to make a classy and elegant card. Wait! Hold the presses, classy and elegant?!!? All I can say is the idea of wedding and classy and elegant are like peanut butter and jelly, they just go together.

To start my process, I checked out the definition of what a classy and elegant card is. Classy and Elegant means: polished, shiny finish, sparkling embellishments, sophisticated sentiments, regal, sweeping, dramatic, monochromatic, layered textures, awe and impress.

I began by pulling stamps out and I went with Papertrey Inks- Love and Marriage and then I began to play with the definition of classy and elegant in front of me.

The base of my card was an embossed folder- a very old one from Cuttlebug. After it was embossed, I took a Copic and lightly colored the raised areas of the panel. Coloring the raised areas with a copic marker totally accents the embossed areas to create a classy and elegant feel.


I had an idea of where I was going. I knew I wanted the heart within the heart, so I started playing with combinations.







I finally decided I liked the die cut and popped heart. My hubby thought the blue and chartreuse heart was to much and I had to agree. I swapped it out for a more subtle green.


I completed this card and I was really pleased with it. After a few days though, it just didn't seem dramatic enough. So I remade the card with a more regal blue base. It felt right.

Which one seems more in keeping with a classy and elegant style? Did I miss the mark?

I hope that one of you might step outside your box and try a different style and share it with us for this challenge at The Card Concept.



5 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

Congrats on the new gig!! Lovely card you made too~

OH Babs said...

Congratulations. Personally I like all of the cards. Thank you for explaining the embossing folder/copic technique. I certainly have plenty of folders and copics.

Tracey McNeely said...

One of my favourite PTI sentiments and love the creative way you used it! What a fabulous debut you have made for the Wild Card team, so happy to have you!

Anonymous said...

I love the way you made it. What a brilliant idea!! So gorgeous card.

Nancy said...

I guess I live under a rock! GREAT NEWS!!! Congrats!!! Sorry I missed this!!!!