Tuesday, September 1, 2015

House of Cards- Stitch it Up



 

This month at House of Cards the challenge is to "stitch it up"



 I remember years ago I had a bunch of these different wheels, but as usual I got rid of them in a purge. Of course there comes a time when I really need one of the items that was purged. That was the case with my serrated tracing wheel. Thank God for Amazon where I was able to buy one for practically nothing.

 Today I am going to show you a quick and easy faux stitching tutorial.



For this technique you need a serrated tracing wheel and a ruler. I chose a simple diamond  pattern. Using the ruler I created a serrated pattern on my base card.


I covered the entire card with the pattern. This gives the card a quilted quality.


Using my MISTI I stamped my old large lotus background stamp and the ink doesn't take the ink so the card looks like a piece of stitched fabric. So dig out your tracing wheel and try this fun faux stitching technique!

To finish this card up I took the matching stencil from Hero Arts and added some shadowing and color definition.

I cut out the middle to create the frame for my sentiment- a favorite from Tim that I use over and over.


I guess you are wondering what I did with the piece that cut out huh? 


I finished my card by putting that piece on the inside of the card with my sentiment.

Be sure to head over to House of Cards and see what the other designers have come with and be sure to play along this month.




16 comments:

Rosmarie said...

Very clever idea, Sue! Love how you framed the text ....and no piece is lost!! ;)
Have a nice day!
Hugs, Rosi

Merethe A said...

Hi Sue, we have hade the same thougths hehehe.. se my cards. My traingwheels is not so fine as yours, longer distance between the peek on mine. Like the quilted look and the card. Great

(✿*‿*) Ma
Teamie HOC
http://majaapia.blogspot.no/

Merethe A said...

Hahahaha.. trainingwheel... wel it suppose to be trasingwheel.. :D
;) Ma

Mynn xx said...

Hi, Sue! THIS IS GENIUS!!! I love the gorgeous images and bright color scheme--they are PERFECT for this technique! Thank you so much for all you do at House of Cards--you are a treasure! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Toni said...

Very cool idea! I think I have one of those in my sewing stash and you've given me some motivation to dig it out

Monika Reeck said...

wooooww I love your tutorial dear Sue
I ever have that tools too and never think to use it again cause my one was not so good stand it is a bit moving I should buy it again In Amazon
and your hero arts stencil is woow I love this and will buy it if it sell still in Germany and the color is funtastic too I adore your simple and beautifuol card
Great Stitching card Sue
hugs, Monika

StephC said...

Fabulous!! The idea and tutorial are fantastic, and I love everything about this card. Great job!
StephC
HOC Teamie

foleysfriend said...

Love the tutorial! Brilliant use of a sewing tool - after all, stitches were required! Hmmm - wonder if they still sell tracing wheels in sewing stores?

sue
HOC DT member

Dotty Jo said...

Faux quilting! How clever are you... This is gorgeous, Jo x

Em Louise Fairley said...

This is gorgeous, Sue! I love it!
Hugs,
Em, HOC teamie x

Tammy said...

WOW Sue, this is gorgeous! I love the stencil you've used and your fab faux stitching- it does look like a quilt! Wonderful tutorial too!
Hugs, Tammy

Donna said...

Awesome card and technique! Your saying and design rock! Thanks for a great tutorial! Donna HOC DT

Barbara Rankin said...

What a fabulous idea. I still have my tracing wheel and completely forgot about this technique. Thanks for reminding me. I'm inspired. Hugs, Barbara HOC teamie

Jane Knudsen said...

Beautiful card and a great tutorial!! jane hoc teamie

craftysahmiam said...

Cool technique I've not seen! I have a similar wheel and will have to give this a try.

Michele K. Henderson said...

Wow, Sue, this is a gorgeous technique! Love the delicate blend of colors and the beautiful stitching technique!
Take care!
Michele, HOC teamie